Thursday, April 26, 2012

Trying to Find the Good

I pack of both kiddos after a quick small dinner and head to City County Park. Making some children's day is on my mind. I drive over anticipating the smiles I will see on their faces. After unpacking our double stroller, and placing both boys in, I get started on my trek to the soccer fields. Some of my students asked me to come see them play their games.

Two under is interesting to say the least. It is busy and hectic.... and completely worth it. They both keep their smiles on until the very end of the game when Rocky starts heading to the swings, completely determined to "sweenin'". He loves the swings and playing with others kids.

On our way, Rocky passes a family and starts to talk to their son. It looks like he may want to go home with them. They are kind and we laugh, as passing parents usually do. We get to the swings and start with Rocky and Kolbe's favorite activity (I swear they could swing for hours). Then I see a woman with a two year old who is telling her friends that she has taught her son to fight and he can "scrap" with kids who are older than him. This all happened because of another boy chasing him (by the way, they were totally playing around).

I guess I am just astounded at the lack of good parenting there is sometimes. Look, I am not saying I am a saint... but, seriously? I try my hardest to always show my kids what you should do and how Jesus would act (as cheesy as that sounds). When did we lose the manners and respect that the previous generation had. When did we stop holding doors for the elderly, smiling at people who look at you instead of wanting to "scrap" with them? When did we all become so self indulgent that we think we are the only ones that matter and therefore, everyone else can go pound sand?

I just wish that, as a teacher, we could break this awful cycle of raising hellions and then wondering why they are so bad.

1 comment:

Mary Wilkerson said...

What I find amazing, is that people still won't admit that modern parenting doesn't work. The fruit of it is all around us, seen every single day. It is a bummer. But watch! I will raise the brattiest one! Although, frankly, right now he is pretty much the best!