Friday, February 1, 2013

The week before I go back to work, I would like to review the reasons why I love being a working mom (or, maybe this is to make myself feel better).

1. I know my husband is home with the kids and we are blessed enough not to need daycare (saves us over $2,000 a month). He teaches my children responsibility, respect, integrity, how to have fun, cleanliness, and most important: how to enjoy family.

2. I have a job that allows some flexibility. Since I am a teacher, I go to school at 7 and I can be home by 3, if needed. Now, most days I stay until 4ish, but I can come home. This comes in handy when training my tatas to feed 5 times a day instead of 7. By the end of the day, I will be swollen and walking like a zombie (all who have breastfed ought to know this feeling). I do have to work at night grading, planning, etc. but this is after my children go to sleep so I am not giving up what precious weekday time I have with them.

3. I love teaching children to be lovers of knowledge. Nothing is better than having a child who could care less about school, start to care. When the stars align and this happens, you are on top of the world. It is all worth it when a child who struggles shows you his work with a giant smile on his face.

4. If it wasn't me, it would be someone else. If I was not in the classroom, someone else,who may not be as scheduled, organized, and loving, might be. This is a scary thought and happens all too often. Some go into teaching to reap the benefits (time off, short hours-obviously you are doing something wrong if there are short hours! lol). And these people might be in your child's classroom teaching them how to be inquisitive and creative, or really teaching them to just "get by".

5. I very rarely take for granted my children. Because I am away for most of their waking hours, I am SO excited to see them in the evenings. They greet me with a smile, scream "Mommy", and come running to the door. This makes it better. On days that I don't work, I, all too often, spend too much time in front of screens or doing chores and I wind up ignoring my kiddos.

6. It helps to keep us on a schedule and this makes for order in a home. Some ask, "How do you do it with four kids under three"? My reply is easy. I do not do anything extra. I may not participate in the church bake sale, or offer to watch my nieces and nephews (sorry, Katie), but this is what we need to do to get by. I do not over promise because I want to enjoy my time with my kids and not rush my life away with obligations that aren't necessary.

7. Absence makes the house look cleaner. The old adage is changed to fit my lifestyle. After being off work and actually seeing my husband during the week, I realize the traditional adage is flawed for us, so I changed it. The more I see him, the more I want to see him. I get mad when he wants to do chores or fix things around the house because that takes him away from me. Although I hate being away from my hubster, when I am, I get more done. When we are together, we just want to watch entire series on Netflix and pig out.

Overall, I am excited to start back to work and get our family back on schedule. I am excited to see my little love muffins (students). I am extremely sad to be away from my silly Rocky, sweet Kolbe, cuddly Zoe, and precious Molly, but here's to counting down the days till Spring Break! Aren't they presh?

1 comment:

Natalie Catherine said...

Mrs. Reynolds! I nominated you for a Liebster Award - http://cevichion.blogspot.com/
I know with 4 little ones you're so busy BUT if you want a little break, feel free to do as much as you can. I just wanted you to know that your blog is one that I follow and truly enjoy.