Monday, December 10, 2012

Reflections On What It Is To Have Twins

1. Being able to buy your children things does not guarantee they will be good people. This is hard for many to understand. In our society, people think if you don't pay for college for your children, you are not a good parent. Being a parent means nurturing and loving your child. Teaching them how to be loving and encouraging to ALL. Teaching them to never judge others and to instill in them patience. Putting food on the table and clothes on their backs is a must but going out to eat all the time and eating brand name food is not.

2. Cooking two is WAY different than cooking one. It is VERY painful toward the end. I am complaining more (which I have been very diligent about not doing this pregnancy). I can barely walk. When I do feel only a little pain, I tend to be too active (which I pay for the next day). I have terrible restless leg during the night and can rarely sleep.

3. It is VERY humbling. I have had to accept a lot of help that I normally would rather die than accept. I am a firm believer in taking care of things on your own and only asking for help when you absolutely NEED it. Asking my husband to get the roll that has fallen at my feet because I am in too much pain to bend down is humbling to say the least. Not being able to go anywhere with the boys (walks, the mall, over to their cousins' to play, etc.) is terrible. Having to deal with a messy house or laundry piling up is not fun either. It makes it easier when your kind hearted mother-in-law or sister come over to bring a meal and a conversation.

4. If you have a GREAT husband, it is easier. Luckily, I was blessed with an amazing man. One who consistently talks about how wonderful I am (even though I am crazy). One who chooses to drive our family van instead of our car because he likes it. A man who gets upset at me when he thinks I do too much. Someone who does his best to take on ALL of the household responsibilities because I am worthless. And a guy, who chooses to fore go his activities (watching football, making music, hanging out with friends) because he genuinely likes his family best and wants to be with us.

5. I have the most AMAZING sons. They keep themselves entertained while Mama relaxes (or tries to) on the couch. They keep fighting to a minimum because they know Mama is not doing well. They comfort me by asking "You okay, Mama" and scratching my back while I am bent over a toilet. They offer me water when I am sad and then ask "You feel better, Mama". My sons comfort me when I am whining about how sore I am or what pain I am in.

6. I cannot wait to have these twins so that I can get sleep (sounds crazy but from cramping to restless leg, I get almost none) and be able to walk in the land of the living and not stay couped up in our house during gloomy and dark winter months!

1 comment:

Mary Wilkerson said...

Your babies are so lucky to have you cooking them. The act of selflessness, especially on at the end here, is so tough, but I am confident that it will make you a better mom then you already are (and you already are a kick ass mom). I wish i could help more, but we are all praying.